Thursday, April 12, 2012

Seen It, Heard It, Read It


Seen It
Amish Grace
My mom had put this on the Netflix queue and I really didn’t know what it was about.  Kimberly Williams Paisley starred in it.  This was a made for TV movie.  It was the story of the shooting in the Amish school in 2006.  It was intense and heartbreaking, but a great story of family, community and forgiveness.

A friend at the Crafting Retreat recommended this show.  It’s almost like a spin on the Golden Girls.  It’s based around three women who get stranded in Cleveland after their flight to Paris makes an emergency landing.  They noticed that the men in Cleveland actually paid attention to them, unlike in Los Angeles where the men looked passed them to the 20 year olds behind them.  It’s hilarious and I love that my parents, especially my dad love it too!
The sister put this on the queue.  It’s a documentary about Andrew McMahon from Jack’s Mannequin when he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in 2005.  It features self-recorded footage as he went through treatment.  It was really interesting and I’m glad the sister recommended it.
This is such a fun and interesting story!  This was the second time I’ve watched it and I think I’d like to own it.  It’s based on a book, which now I think I’d like to find at the library.  To preserve humankind in the middle of a nuclear war, the Builders of the underground “City of Ember” decide that they should remain underground for 200 years.  The instructions are given to and passed on from mayor to mayor.  One of the mayors dies suddenly and the instructions were never properly passed on.  The movie follows Lina and Doon who both realize their city is crumbling and will soon be extinguished and they do everything they can to save it.

Heard It
Um, LOVE.  What can I say about Miranda?  She’s just so sassy and fun!  I listen to this over and over until ALL of the songs are simultaneously stuck in my head.
I’d heard about 3 of their songs on the radio that I really liked, so it was no surprise that I really enjoyed their whole album.  I wish I would have been able to see them in concert when they were in Boise a month ago.
I didn’t think I’d be able to get his new CD when it came out on March 6th, but my mom gave me an itunes gift card that she didn’t want. I’ve been listening to it non-stop since. His tour just started so check to see if he’ll be coming your way soon!

Read It
Anticipatience is a “New word of hope for single women.”  Everyone knows I couldn’t be MORE single.  I’ve read ALL the books.  We know this.  But this book is different.  I recommend it for all single women.  When I re-read it this time I took lots of notes.  I’m hoping to put all my notes together for a blog post soon-ish.
As you can probably tell by looking at my past posts, I really enjoy celebrity biographies.  This one was particularly interesting.  I’m a fan of the Kardashians and was excited to read more about their lives from Kris’ perspective.  I didn’t realize how much she and her family were tied to Nicole & OJ Simpson and how involved they were in the case.  Of course I knew Robert was one of OJ’s attorneys, but it was really sad and fascinating to read a different perspective about all of it.  Kris has really overcome a lot in her life and has worked hard to get to where she is.
I was excited to read this book too, because I love J-Hud.  BUT this book turned into a Weight Watchers commercial.  I ended up skimming the end of it because I was getting a little bored with all the WW talk.  While I think it’s good for her that WW helped her and she’s excited about it and want to share it with everyone, I wasn’t in the mood for an infomercial.  I wouldn’t recommend this.  Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment