Friday, April 20, 2012

Socialpunk: Review


When I was asked to participate in the blog tour for Monica Leonelle’s book Socialpunk I knew that I definitely wanted to read the book and write a review. I mean, if I’m promoting this book I should probably know what it’s about, haha.

 

Read a brief synopsis and an excerpt of Socialpunk [HERE].
Read an interview with the author, Monica Leonelle [HERE].

I’m not a sci-fi person and I don’t know if a cyberpunk book would be my first choice when picking my next book to read. With that being said, I was intrigued when I read the synopsis and prologue to Socialpunk.

One of the things I liked about the book was that it immediately grabbed my attention and held it through the entire book.  It was an easy, and fairly short read; it clocked in at 180 pages on my Nook.

The story follows Ima on an adventure when she finds out her world is not what it seems. Like Monica said in her interview, Ima really grows as a character throughout the book; that was one of the things I really liked. Her early years were filled with adversity so in the beginning of the book she was more of an invisible girl. When Vaughn comes up to her and says, “If you want to live, come with me.” things start to change.

I loved the creativity and details that went in to describing the city and surroundings. It created a picture in my head of what it was like, especially when Ima was seeing it for the first time.

Here’s another short excerpt that is a great example of that exactly:

A woman with long purple eyelashes, who kind of reminded Ima of a butterfly, brushed by Ima with tattooed art entirely covering both her arms. One of the tattoos started out as a young boy who grew just a little older with each second, until he looked like a man. To Ima’s amazement, the tattoo played like a home video.

Ima looked at Vaughn for explanation. “How—?”

“Pixel skin-grafts,” Vaughn whispered into ima’s ear. “Some people do their entire bodies in them. Doesn’t do much in terms of protection, but lets you change your outfit on a Clout.”

I would recommend this book and I’ll definitely be reading the next book in the trilogy, Socialmob, when it comes out in July. The story ended so abruptly with a cliffhanger that threw me for a loop. If I could change one thing it would be the end, because it just seemed to cut off. But I guess that’s one way to keep people coming back for more. The series will wrap up with Socialhood, in October.

Let me know if you read Socialpunk and what you think of it!

Check out the Socialpunk Trilogy.

Buy Socialpunk:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Click to enter the blog tour giveaway by Monica:
a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment